August 25, 2019

Memoir, continued

I thoroughly enjoyed the memoir class last spring.  I didn’t know there is a memoir genre, which is different from biography or autobiography. I didn’t know it’s expected to alter the narrative to make the story better, to protect subjects, and to add personal reflection - in fact, the reflection is key. No one can tell you how YOU experienced the event, or that your recollection of it is wrong because it’s not how they remember it.

Image of two patio chairsI learned that writing for readers is not the same as speechwriting, and that there are scene-setting techniques that can help the reader picture/feel/understand the story you are telling. I learned to learn from what classmates shared, to accept the instructor’s feedback, and to let go of my superiority. I learned I have very good stories, and need to learn how to tell them in memoir format, which includes what I learned from the incident, my feelings about the incident, and how it affected my development or perception of the situation and people involved in the incident. I am trying to enroll in the seminar again this fall, but there is an error on the web site - the class is not listed! I’m waiting for Renaissance staff to get back to me with a solution or a workaround. 

In September, I’m going to a Soutar cousins reunion in Florida. I hear there will be about 25 of us. I’m planning to ask lots of questions, take many notes and photos, and come back with much fodder for new memoir essays. I’m taking a notebook for people to write down memories and story-starters, and leave their contact info so we can keep in touch. I also want to create a shared photo album online where we can upload photos for everyone to share.  

Update 8/30/19: Per the Renaissance Society, the Fall memoir class is cancelled, but it will probably be available again in the Spring semester. I signed up for a half-semester fiction writing seminar beginning at the end of October, per our instructor's recommendation last Spring, but I'm waitlisted.


No comments: